Friday, June 18, 2021

change

 I'm having a cold, so it's a good opportunity to stop, and write a little. 

As you probably know we've had some dramatic days recently - missiles thrown at us from Gaza, attempts at pogroms by Israeli Arabs who live with us in cities that knew good coexistence so far. In the nearby neighborhood to where I live, sidewalk stones were broken by such mobs, and people were careful not to go out when it was not necessary. And - just as it started, so it ended. Suddenly. I remember the first missile siren that I heard - it came at the end of an online work meeting, and at first I didn't recognize it as siren. I thought it was probably the sound of a very strong wind, or perhaps a very strong motorcycle motor. But after a few moments, it dawned on me that this is a missile alarm. I ran to fetch my neighbors and we tried to find a place to hide. But we found none. We were faced with the reality that our neighborhood does not have shelters, and the only place to hide is in the first floor of the building, where the landlords live, and if they're not at home, we  have to find some other hiding place. 

However, I remembered that a few years ago, when I was living in my previous neighborhood, I didn't care at all about the sirens. I went, with many others, to synagogue as the sirens were shouting, and we were very calm, not afraid at all to do that. This time I also felt this way, but I was worried about my neighbors, who are older and new to the country. 

Another dramatic thing that happened - is that the corona limitations were lifted. 85% of Israelis are vaccinated, and there is no longer a need to wear masks, no one asks you anymore if you have the "green passport" before you enter places. It is all back to how it was before, and this is incredible. I am very grateful for that. Really, it is a big miracle, and Hashem chose us to be among the first to be at that point. 

Still, the prime minister who was G-d's messenger in doing this, in bringing about this incredible change, was not crowned prime minister this time around. Instead, someone with 5 times less votes became the prime minister, and he did that by joining forces with people from the left, people who oppose Judaism, people he had promised that he would never joining forces with. It was a shock. We prayed so hard, but it didn't help. It's not like I think Netanyahu can be the only prime minister. There are other talented people who can do a good job, but it is obvious that G-d is behind him, for whatever reason, and used him in so many ways to bring good to Israel. And the unfairness of having him be defeated after doing so much, and be defeated by a cynic such as Bennett, is very sad. When the new government was sworn, I was with a few dozens of other people outside of his formal residence, and we said thank you, for all you did for us, and waved our flags. I'm so glad Hashem helped me be part of this thank you 'party'. It was important. 

Then there was the flag parade in Jerusalem. Hamas threatened to fire missiles again if we go there. But we went. I went. I took my flag with me, and we were walking with our flags near the Old City. A friend whom I haven't seen since the start of the Corona spotted me amidst the multitudes, the thousands of people who were there, and came hugging me. It was nice to meet like that. We then went to the Kotel (the Western Wall) and finished the evening in a coffee shop, drinking a hot drink. Hamas didn't fire missiles, 'only' fire-balloons, and gladly, the new prime minister ordered to retaliate firmly, which was a good decision.

I've had so many things I thought I wanted to write about, but now, with this cold, I can't think of much. I really think Netanyahu, while far from being perfect, was a good prime minister. I hope he returns soon. 

I'll try to write here again, perhaps about things that are more related to me, but it's hard for me to talk or write about myself, and in truth, there is not much to write, so it's easy to just talk about the Israeli, Jewish aspects of my life. 

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment